Great article! I'm a huge fan of Ezra Klein and his thought process of instilling systems rather than goals.
My current run schedule follows the 80/20 rule. Throughout the week 80% of my runs are slow Zone 1 runs while the remaining 20% are intervals bouncing between Zone 2 and 4. This change up has kept me engaged with my running and allows for my body to recover while still feeling fairly active.
Best of luck with setting up your own system and recognizing that you need the rest.